I’ve done my predictions, I’ve done my obligatory looking back at the year post. Then all of the sudden it was New Years Eve and now it’s 2010, before I could finish the holy triumvirate of NYE posts. So I will just have to do that now, after 2009 has already ended. It can’t be helped.
For some reason, I enjoy New Years resolutions. I know a lot of people that think the concept is silly and perhaps it is. But I’ve always enjoyed the concept of a fresh start, even if I suck at actually finding the point where I am able to create one.
Despite that, I enjoy making resolutions for the new, fresh year. It’s always worth a shot, no? So here are my New Years resolutions for 2010, the year when I turn 30. Oh, there will be angst and panic at some point this year.
1. Increase Internet presence. So I have this blog, my Twitter feed, GRTV and Gamereactor. I’ve cancelled my Facebook account, but it’s really not that kind of presence I mean. I need to start applying for more writing positions (I have some lined up that I really should get working on). In short, I need to write more, which I guess is the whole point of this resolution. Work more.
2. Take a more active part in the MMO blogging community. This is where I know I’ve been more or less worthless for so long. I read mostly MMO blogs, but I hardly ever comment or do follow up posts here. I should really start doing that, not just reading but giving feedback. So many awesome writers out there that inspire me, but I suck at giving back to them. The blogroll on the site needs to be updated, as well.
3. Do more video. That’s tricky, but I hope to get my own vidcast up and running during January. It’s been a rough year for gaming publications, which has taken a budget toll on GRTV as well, but I hope we will be able to develop the format more during 2010. If not, well, then I hope to find other options. I love doing video/TV, and I hope that it’s something that I can work a lot more with in the future.
4. Get my head under control. I’ve been fighting against generalized anxiety disorder for ten years, only receiving a proper diagnosis this year. With the proper cognitive therapy, I hope to get it finally over and done with this year. It feels hopeless at times, but when I’m writing this I feel that I can do it. It’s been taking a great toll on my personal life for too long now, and I’ve completely stunted my own development because of it.
5. Start working on a book and my comic. Don’t know what else to say about that. I really want to get the comic started, I have loads of ideas I want to get down. Hoping to be able to afford a good tablet for the computer during the next couple of months, so I can get started. And a book, well…it’s always on lists like these so I’ll add it in for good measure.
I think that’s it for this year, it will just have to be enough. Number 4 is the big one and if I can’t get that under control, the rest is kind of moot. It will be the big fight of 2010 and I aim to win it, once and for all.
Finally – a big hug to all the great people on Twitter. You’ve made 2009 a great year online, if nothing else. The constant discussions, feedback, inspiration and ideas bounced between all the great MMO-interested people on Twitter is wonderful. If you’re one of them and I’ve somehow managed to miss you, send me a mention @petterm!
With that, let’s 2010 officially begin. Let’s make this a great year.